More woes for Invictus Obi as he forfeits N280 million to the federal government

Obiwanne Okeke who is currently standing a trial in the United States over an alleged $11 million cyber fraud case following his recent arrest by the FBI. On Monday 7th of October 2019, the federal high court in Lagos State, Nigeria ordered the temporary forfeiture of the sum of N280,555,010.65 that was discovered in the bank account of Invictus Obi’s Oil and Gas Limited and the Invictus Investment Limited.

The Economic and Financial crimes commission EFCC told the court that the two firms were being owned by Invictus and they described him as a ‘strong leader of a cybercrime syndicate that specialises in business email compromise’.

Following the assessment of an ex parte application, which was carried out by the EFCC on Monday 7th October 2019, Justice Rilwan Aikawa made an order for the temporary forfeiture of the money.  The EFCC lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, had earlier told the court that he was assigned to investigate a request for information on Invictus and three others by the United States Department of Justice, the Office of the Law Attache, US Consulate General. He further stated that the funds domiciled in First City Monument Bank (FCMB) and Zenith Bank were suspicious.

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Rotimi Oyedepo added that the funds in the accounts were “reasonably suspected” to be some of the said proceeds of cybercrime and pleaded with the judge to order forfeiture to the federal government to prevent Okeke from dissipating same.

After listening to Oyedepo’s submissions and argument, Justice Aikawa made an irrevocable order for the temporary forfeiture of the funds to the federal government.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.